Thursday, January 6, 2011

Arriving in Manila




If you've never been to a certain place before, you can only imagine what it may look like. Pictures typically cannot do it justice. That would be the case here in Manila. We arrived Thursday morning Manila time. I can't begin to describe what it's like stepping out of a plane into a new country. Feeling like a foreigner doesn't begin to describe it. We met Mark and Sarah after a 16 hour flight and they piled us into two vans. That began this most incredible adventure.

We weaved in and out of traffic, no rules, no speed limits, just honk your horn and drive. The surrounding city didn't look like anything I had ever seen. After a harrowing drive, (I'll share about that in future blogs,) we went to visit the church where Mark and Sarah reach out to the Mabuhay kids. We walked the streets, we were quickly immursed into their life.

The most dramatic of movie sets could not begin to capture the poverty and dispair these children live in. I myself, cannot hardly grapple with the reality of it. (Did I mention that all of our team are seasoned missionaries, having gone on numerous trips, but this is the first one for me.) But their smiles and hearts for the Lord, have captured my heart and the hearts of our team.

So this is how they do it. Missionaries... They love people, they endure hardships, and peril. They give their lives for the cause of Christ. I can tell you, I will never be the same again.

2 comments: