Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Time to say goodbye

In a few hours we will head to the airport and fly home. Last night we had a farewell dinner with the staff and Mark and Sarah. Telling the staff goodbye was harder than we thought it would be. When you say goodbye to someone it's more comforting to be able to say, "I'll see you soon." But in all reality, we don't know if we'll ever see them again. We hope to come back, Lord willing. They have taught us so much in such a short time. The girls and I have visited many of their homes. Because of that, it is astounding to me that they are such givers and are so warm and loving. They literally live in such poverty compared to our standards. I have never met a people before that exhibit such love and graciousness. We cried on the way home. They have touched a deep part of our hearts and now we will never be the same. I wanted to pack Jessna in my suitcase. She was the one that led me through the downtown outdoor mall my second day here. She held onto me for dear life. I was still in culture shock and I clung to her like a scared child. She guided me through the streets, between jeepney's, tricycle's and merchants. I know she would have guarded me with her life.

The same for Karen. She helped Cossette and I during the Bible stories. She was our interpreter for the stories, skits and just about everything else. She has a heart of gold and a heart to serve. I will miss her.

Tricia led the worship and knew all the words and handmotions. Her enthusiasm was contagious and it gave us all a boost of energy.

Nye Nye was the mother figure of the group. One of our first days, she made us dinner. We ate it, it was good. Then I walked to her house one day. I am still shocked inside at the conditions. I don't think I will ever get over it. Every time she saw me she threw a bear hug around me and kissed me like I belonged to her. I felt like I did.

The teen leaders were also precious. Full of life like every teen around the world. They were fun to watch, fun to play with and of course fun to be around.

I could go on. Many of us have our own stories of the people that have impacted us. The children we have touched and that have touched our lives. But one thing I do know for certain. We will see them again. God has knit our hearts together for a purpose. Either for this life or the eternal life to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment