Sunday, January 9, 2011

The price of Experience

Thrilling, scary, frightening, endearing, heart-wrenching and amazing are words I would use to describe our trip so far. Thursday we shopped in the outdoor market downtown. Running to try and keep up with our guide, dodging the merchants, dodging dogs, roosters and people and trying not to get run over by jeepneys, motorcycles and tricycles, all while shopping for VBS supplies. Still in culture shock, it was on the set of slum-dog millionaire, or so it seemed. I felt like the lead in a drama who found herself in an unknown land with a mission. I played that game in my head in order to help myself acclimate. I was fine until we went near the water and on the concrete side walk laid about three small children, maybe 9 months old to 2 years old. They were naked, crying and all alone. We had to step over them in order to continue on our way. I have not reconciled my feelings on that one. Each day brings new feelings, situations and experiences to reconcile.

Saturday we did an outreach down the road and into the streets. The neighborhood children came who can't walk to the church. They were a bit shy toward the visitors, as we are called. I can't blame them. We gradually tried to make friends with them. They remained shy but smiled and it appeared they were grateful for the attention regardless. We sang songs, bandaged wounds, and gave them the biggest smiles we had. It doesn't seem like enough. But at least they sang songs about Jesus. That put a smile on their face.

Saturday afternoon we were assigned streets to visit to invite kids to VBS. I went with jessna, a wonderful minister here at the church. She took me by the arm and off we went down the road. The road by the church is very narrow. Jeepneys, motorcycles, cars and trucks don't stop for us. You have to walk out into the road put your hand up and yell "stop" while looking them in the eye. I haven't tried it yet. We went into one house to visit because we were invited to come in. They offered us sprite and crackers. Amanda and Cosey tell me that you have to eat whatever they offer to you. We did. There was a pig tied up outside by his foot. He was trying to get away. I think he heard them tell us that he was dinner tomorrow.

It was getting dark and we were tired. Jessna suggested that we ride the tricycle back to the church. I hesitated. I had seen how those things just fly by cars with people hanging on for dear life. But I was tired. I agreed. Jessna said, "get in." I said, "Are you coming?" Yes she informed me, get in she said. So away we went in the trycycle, it was actually pretty fun. There's so much to tell, I'll try to get it all told. The experiences have been worth the price of admission to my adventure


Tomorrow is our first day of VBS. We spent all day preparing, turning the church into a ship. It was grueling work, trying to accomplish all in one day. We have to get an early start tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda,
    I love following along on here as I am praying for you and the team there in the PI!!
    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete